Benjamin Franklin once said, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” And when it comes to home maintenance, especially roof maintenance in Jacksonville, this phrase couldn’t be more accurate.
One thing every homeowner fears is an unexpected and costly roof repair or replacement. Most shingle roofs (the most common type of residential roofing material) have a lifespan of 15-20 years. After this timeframe, roofing materials begin to deteriorate more quickly. From high winds to hail to tropical storms, the environmental conditions we face here in Jacksonville can further accelerate this timeline. The good news is that by proactively taking the time to maintain your roof, you can extend its life and catch problems before they become significant issues. In the long run, performing regular roof maintenance on your Jacksonville home can save you money and provide invaluable peace of mind.
Here are a few simple roof maintenance tips you can implement to ensure your roof remains in good condition for as long as possible:
- Regularly inspect your shingles. While it may seem minor, damaged or missing shingles can leave your home exposed to the elements, causing significant damage.
- Trim your trees. Leaves from over-hanging branches can collect on your roof and rot your shingles over time. Falling branches from nearby trees can also pose a risk to your roof.
- Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters can cause drainage issues. The water accumulation can leak under your roof and wreak havoc on your home.
- Carefully remove dirt, mold, and moss. In excess, dirt, mold, and moss can damage your roof’s shingles and affect their integrity. When cleaning, avoid using a power washer or hard-bristled brush as they can wear away granules and further damage your shingles.
- Maintain your chimney. Believe it or not, despite our warmer climate in Florida, fireplaces are becoming more common in Jacksonville homes. If your home has a fireplace and chimney, you should inspect it for damage, such as broken bricks or cracks. Falling bricks can easily cause roof damage.
Although essential and beneficial, regular roof maintenance does not entirely replace the need for a professional roofer. To further extend the life of your roof, you should have a professional, like E2 ROOFING, regularly inspect it—especially if your own roof maintenance routine uncovers an issue. Our team of experts provides comprehensive roofing services and can repair, replace, and install your roof should the need arise.